Solid Edge Learning Resources for Educators
Siemens Digital Industries Software is committed to empowering the next generation of digital talent with the Solid Edge skills employers need by providing industry-leading software and training resources.
Educators can access the full Solid Edge portfolio of affordable, easy-to-use software tools that address all aspects of the product development process, along with curriculum resources to support classroom teaching.
Academic Institution Bundle
Our Solid Edge product portfolio is available to all academic institutions free of charge via the Siemens grant process. Our Academic Institution product bundle includes:
- Solid Edge Premium: Our ultimate 3D CAD package, including full FEA Simulation, electrical routing, pipe, and tube routing. You can find a full list of Solid Edge Premium features here.
- Solid Edge Generative Design Pro: Learn how to optimize your design with efficient use of material, lowering cost while maintaining structural integrity. Find out more here.
- Solid Edge Simulation Advanced: Completely built-in Finite Element Analysis Solution that allows users to validate parts and assembly design digitally and so reduces the need for physical prototypes. Learn more here.
- Solid Edge CAM 5-Axis Mill: Extensive capabilities for simultaneous multi-axis cutting of complex surfaces, including both automatic and manual methods, multiple drive options, and a wide variety of tool axis control. Get more information here.
- Solid Edge Wiring & Harness Design: Solid Edge ECAD includes Wiring and Harness Design with seamless ECAD/MCAD integration. Click here to find out more.
- Solid Edge P&ID Design: Design automated pipe systems using an automated process and intelligent database while supporting industry standards. Learn more here.
- Solid Edge Piping Design: Automatically generate complete piping systems and bill of materials using a comprehensive 3D Standard Parts library. Find out more here.
- Solid Edge Model Based Definition: Defines parts and assemblies using interactive 3D models and reducing the need for complex 2D drawings while also maintaining compliance with industry standards. Find out more here.
- Solid Edge 3D Publishing: Combines both 3D Publishing and 3D Illustration to create multi-page customizable documents and publications. Click here to learn more.
To take full advantage of this Solid Edge academic bundle, apply for a grant today by clicking here.
Solid Edge Software for Teachers
Educators who have not yet applied for the Academic Institution Bundle can download a free version of Solid Edge for independent study or classroom instruction.
Solid Edge Resources for Students
Solid Edge students have access to a free version of the same easy-to-use software suite used by professionals, as well as free learning resources, including project-based tutorials.
Solid Edge Certification
Solid Edge Certification provides you with an industry-recognized credential that demonstrates proficiency with Solid Edge software and distinguishes you within the Solid Edge design community. Three levels of Solid Edge certification are offered: Associate I, Associate II and Professional.
Secondary School Curriculum
Project Based Learning
One of the many benefits of STEM education is the integration and application of cross-curricular learning. This allows students to understand the relevance of content learned in their core subjects, usually studied as stand-alone courses in secondary school. The most effective way to make curriculum rigorous and relevant is with a comprehensive and integrated project-based design. This curricula design helps students answer the questions “Why do I need to know this?” and “Where will I ever use this?” It also better prepares students to successfully make a seamless transition to a 2 or 4-year college degree or industry certificate.
A Project-Based Learning curriculum allows for deep exploration of a problem. Each project is designed to allow student teams to develop distinct solutions to the same problem. The problem presents the student with an opportunity to plan, organize, and conduct research. “Enabling Activities” can provide students with needed knowledge and skills “just in time” so they may proceed to a viable solution to the problem. Students utilize their research in the design, prototyping, testing, evaluation, and redesign of a solution.
Siemens offers 2 courses which adhere to the Project-Based Learning methodology and are designed to educational standards, including Next Generation Science Standards. These courses can each be used as a stand-alone full-year course or taught in a semester double period block schedule. The following features are included as part of the curricula design.
- Project and problem based
- Integrated using the latest College and Career Readiness Standards AND the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Require students to do research, design & development, and communication of design solutions.
- Use the engineering problem-solving process.
- Require students to keep an engineering notebook
- Are appropriate for all students.
- Provide schools with a list of supplies for all course projects.
Engineering Design Course
An introductory engineering design curriculum for secondary schools, this course challenges students to work in teams in order to solve real-world design problems. Students research, design, develop, and communicate design solutions. Teams learn the fundamentals of Computer Aided Design (CAD) software and use that software to prepare and evaluate designs. The course also makes extensive use of 3D printing so that students can see the physical manifestation of their designs, as well as understand design for manufacturing concepts.
This course will prepare students to take the level one Solid Edge Certification.
Manufacturing and Automation Course
This course is designed for students who have completed the Engineering Design course. It provides students with experience in the creation of a design, preparing the design for machining, and designing the manufacturing automation necessary to control processes. This course utilizes the various Siemens’ software as a tool for problem-solving and preparing solutions. This course will prepare students to take the Siemens PLC and Solid Edge certifications.
University & Technical Colleges
Introduction to Engineering Graphics
This course is designed to be an introductory class to engineering graphics for first-year university and technical college students who are seeking degrees in mechanical engineering or product design.
- The goal of this course is to enable educators to teach their students how to work confidently and competently with 3D CAD software while developing the mechanical foundation they need to progress in their education & career.
- This course is an introduction to 3D CAD for educators who are new to the subject and targeted towards first-year university and advanced high school programs.
- The emphasis of this course is on core engineering graphics concepts peppered with artistic overtones, built around an environment conducive to creative 3D thinking and problem-solving.
- This course is structured in a step-by-step PPT guide with embedded movie files and provides exercises and activities designed to build skills in a logical sequential order. Designed to be used in a face-to-face classroom setting or distance online learning. Content Includes Introduction to Solid Modeling, part, assembly, detail drawings, and motion.
Siemens Learning Center
Our free Solid Edge for Education and Community Library, located within the Siemens Learning Center, includes a comprehensive library of on-demand learning materials, covering everything from basic sketching techniques to advanced product design topics. This library enables students to learn the Solid Edge software in short, topical lessons that can be used for self-paced learning or incorporated into instructor-led lesson plans. All content has been designed to help learners prepare for Solid Edge Certification and subsequent career advancement.
Within Learning Center, you will have access to the following courses:
Watch the following instructional video on how to access the Siemens Learning Center, then use the discount code SESCUSER to get started!
To further aid and accelerate students learning, Siemens is proud to support several STEM-based competition programs. These extra-curricular programs provide real-world context for learning that is fun, encourages creativity, critical-thinking and team-building skills.
FIRST® Inspires designs, develops and delivers program-based learning. True to its name FIRST both inspires students interests in science and technology and provides hands-on learning so students can develop the essential job skills that will be required of the next generation, while having fun at the same time.
As a proud sponsor of FIRST, Siemens is pleased and excited to support FIRST and provide all teams with access to:
- Solid Edge® 3D CAD software free of charge
- New learning tutorials for FIRST Robotics
- 5GB of free cloud-based CAD file management, viewing, and collaboration
- Solid Edge certification, and
- Sponsorship funding for qualifying teams
The Greenpower program and curriculum were developed to advance education in the subjects of engineering and technology for young people, ages 9 to 25. This is achieved through a unique hands-on project that enables students to design, build, and race electric cars. As the title sponsor, Siemens is proud to support Greenpower and provides Solid Edge software to participating schools and students free of charge.
F1 In School Global STEM Competition
F1 in Schools is a global multi-disciplinary challenge in which teams of students aged 9 to 19 use CAD/CAM software to collaborate, design, analyze, manufacture, test, and then race miniature compressed air powered model F1 cars, designed to very specific and stringent qualifying specifications.
Click here to experience designing this example car in Solid Edge.
The Solar Car Challenge
The Solar Car Challenge was established to help motivate students in science and engineering, and to increase alternative energy awareness. The Challenge teaches high school students around the world how to build roadworthy solar cars. As the sponsor, Siemens is proud to support Solar Car Challenge and provides Solid Edge software to participating schools and students free of charge.
Design a Garden Bird House
Level: Middle School, High School | Difficulty: Beginner
Use our 3D CAD tutorial to design a garden bird house using CAD principles, sketching, assemblies, and exploded part views.
Create a rocket with advanced CAD Design
Level: High School | Difficulty: Intermediate
Learn the advanced CAD design principles with our tutorial to build a rocket, using sketching, holes, assemblies, sheet-metal design, and a bill of materials.
Build a front loader with parts, drawings, and assemblies
Level: High School | Difficulty: Intermediate
This tutorial introduces all of the core abilities of Solid Edge: modeling parts, creating assemblies and creating detailed drawings.
Additional Classroom Assets
This comprehensive STEM resource delivers structured teaching and learning activities on wind power. Students will learn the science and engineering behind wind power and how to design a working wind turbine in Solid Edge. This resource comprises both introductory and advanced project activities complete with Teacher guides, presentations, student resources, Solid Edge tutorials, and datasets.
Introduction to FEA:
The STEM project introduces students to forces in materials, physical testing, and Finite Element Analysis (FEA). The project includes comprehensive Teacher notes, classroom material, step-by-step tutorials, and homework tasks. This project is suitable for all schools, including those taking part in the Greenpower Challenge.
Stem Classroom Lectures:
This collection of four classroom lectures address key areas of the STEM curriculum in secondary education. Developed by teachers for teachers, these lectures include classroom presentations, Teacher notes, student activity sheets, and homework tasks.
How real schools are seeing the benefits of Solid Edge
Platform to support the development of students and the growth of local businesses
Using Solid Edge helps HCT put together a successful run at Greenpower electric car event